Monday 22 August 2011

[MSVS2008 Windows7 64bit] Property Pages is gone in Visual Studio 2008?

Recently I encountered a strange problem when I tried to debug codes with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, namely, I can not open the property configuration window, which means I can not set the debugging command arguments at all.

Usually, you just need to right click the program in Solution Explorer and then click the properties item at the bottom of the just popup menu, alternatively, you can go to View at the top of menu bar and then select the property pages, then you can set command arguments in the shown property window.

I tried restore and reinstall Visual Studio 2008 from CD, however, the problem is still there. Even then, I tried to remove the visual studio elements completely from the software manager and register list, but it does not help out. Through google, it seems like something changed in the VS setting file which is needed by VS when it launches every time.

The following is the solution which works for me.

  1. Make sure the setting file is in your computer, by default, it should be under "C:\Users\Username\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Settings"
  2.  Go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE", if you are on 64bit system, the path should be like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE", and then run "devenv.com" to restore to the initial setting environment.
  3.  Restart the visual studio and it should be work.

1 comment: